What are you doing to change? What steps are you taking to grow? Here are some basic suggestions that you can fairly easily implement to get you moving.
1. “Networking” – This is really about building relationships. Not adding folks to your email list, or LinkedIn connections. Network virtually or “the old fashioned” way – in person. Chamber after hours events, professional groups, etc. Network not only “upward” but make sure you build relationships in all directions.
2. Podcasts – take the 20 – 30 minutes a few times a week and listen to podcasts. Subscribe to a few different ones – so that you get input/ideas from different folks. Just a few examples: Chuck Carringer, Adam Grant, Brené Brown, etc. There are tons of options.
3. Join a professional organization – at a local, state, or national level. If you are already a member – become more than a member. Volunteer for a leadership role, help out at their events, etc. Volunteer for a board position or even serve as a speaker at meetings. Get involved!
4. Read. Yes, I said read. Pick up a book and dig in. Great classics or contemporary. Step out of your comfort zone and read about something new and different for you. If you don’t like to read, subscribe to a “service” or check out your local library for audible books.
5. Get a Coach. Professional coaches can get you moving in the right direction. They can help you sort out your options and develop a plan, etc. Invest in yourself or ask your company to invest in you by getting some coaching.
6. Mentor others or get a mentor. Stretch yourself and pass along what you have learned or be open to learning from others. Find someone “who has something you want” and ask them to be your mentor.
7. New Tasks – take on/volunteer for new tasks or duties at work. Let your boss know you are open working on special projects, or leading a team.